Friday 1 May 2009

How to repoint a stone wall- see instructions!



Voila! Yours truly – re-pointing one of the ground floor walls that will have the stairs going up beside it. It is the end wall of the big room where the dining area will be. It is important it gets done before other walls in the property are made pretty so the stairs can go in after the concrete floor is poured and, therefore, we have a very remote chance of moving into the place however basic and believe you me it will be basic!! Many love to put up plaster board walls for a number of reasons. It is a quicker end result, it is convenient for hiding pipe and cables behind, provides insulation. Personally I feel it is sacrilege to cover up these walls made years ago but they do take time and interior walls are better to do than exterior due to heating issues.

It is a slow process, especially for a perfectionist like me (a job worth doing and all that) but worth it in the end. I have never done it before but am enjoying seeing the fruits of my labour and learning something new. I have chosen a particular colour mix to compliment the original wall and am happy with my hunch on that score.

The list of jobs goes on and I hope to keep up my ‘terrier’ type drive to quote my husband whos’ stamina never ceases to amaze me. He is enviably fit ( fitter than me and he is 12 yrs older) and he is the crème de la crème of terriers himself! Woof !

How to repoint a wall the facts!..................
1 part enthusiasm, 2 parts listen to the boss, 3 parts ( very important this one) ensure plenty of tea and coffee is forthcoming, take time to stand back and look at your progress and pat yourself on the back.

Easy! You have a perfect mix for a renovated stone wall!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've missed your vocation - you should open a complete site - this is fabulous. I wish I'd had your blog when I was fooling around with pointing etc. Bloody brilliant! Wotagirl!

Anonymous said...

the "anonymous is me - Suzy Q can't remember me damned password - can't remember me NAME some days!!!

Anonymous said...

Know what you mean about those shoes, michelle. can't stay away from them myself. stopped trying. hope the flowery wellies are still going strong. ideal gear for wall pointing i'd say! keep up the good work. lots of love from Sammy

MichieMole said...

thank you laydees, I am enjoying it but not sure if I want it to be my vocation. I willbe Jack of All etc.
Wellies not been used much sammy but have served me well thus far.
rather be tottering in some heels from time to time
Will keep you all posted literallY!

Sandy said...

You go girl!