Sunday 12 April 2009

Hand made




Voila, here is my new post box that my husband made. I love it! I did not want a standard metal box on a pole and am determined to keep everything as rustic as possible and, of course important that I have one as I redirect the mail for the 3rd time in 7 months!. He came up trumps indeed.

This is the most finished item in the whole place.!!!!!!! We are experiencing a few delays.

I was rather shocked to return from my trip to see 2 rows of trees have disappeared to make room for the septic tank, there is a better view of the Blavet though and the JCB had churned up lots of land besides. Argh, my lovely terrain! I knew it was going to happen but not quite so prepared for how it would affect the layout of my dreamed for land. Forget the saying 'I cannot see the wood for the trees', I cannot see the land for the lack of them ! I will attempt to take some cuttings from the leylandii and the rest will be used for firewood. I really don't like to demolish living things unless totally necessary but if we want running water to the house it had to be!

Roof no 1 is nearly finished but I am struggling with vision for the overall project!! But in the words of George Michael ' You gotta have faith'

Repointing of a wall is my next job in what will be the landing, very necessary in the process of trying to get us moved in I am told as it is near where the staircase is going to go. The hole in the ceiling is there waiting expectantly for the wooden hill to semi sanity.

The cows in the field opposite are providing an element of tranquility and a Woodpecker tapping away is a charming sound to work along to. Helps to make it all worthwhile! If only he could peck out some stone in the wall to give me a hand!


Watch this space.....................................!


1 comment:

Ksam said...

Are you on good terms with your postman? I'm only asking because I've heard it is illegal in France to have a non-standard mailbox (there is some kind of list of "approved" mailboxes out there).

I remember a couple years back in my ex-inlaws small Breton town, one of the neighbors had a decorative mailbox put up and the postman refused to deliver to it (they didn't get along) and they ended up having to take it down and put a standard one up. But I would imagine that like everything else in France, this rule is only applied when they feel like - I definitely don't think it's a hard and fast thing! And it is quite the lovely mailbox!