Thursday 9 April 2009

Pacques


Easter looms, I remember in my childhood collecting primroses to decorate the windows at the local church and I always used to get a mug with an egg in it. My husband loves the Easter Bunny in chocolate form though also did used to have 2 real bunnies of his own too. Choccie bunnies are less maintenance except when working the result of too many of them off your tum!

I was doing a bit of research on tradtions here in France. This was a new one to me....

Poisson D'Avril (French Easter Fish)
Everyone knows of chocolate rabbits, but did you know the French delight in chocolate fish? Although not directly related to Easter, poisson d'Avril are enjoyed throughout the entire Easter season. These fishy little friends start appearing in shops on April 1st, when children use paper versions to play an April Fools type trick. The 'trick' is to stick a paper fish onto the back of as many adults as possible, then run away yelling, "Poisson d'Avril!" (April fish!). The tradition is several centuries old. Some say it evolved from a silly 'fish trick' where one would send an unknowing person to market to buy freshwater fish when it was not in season. In French culture, food follows season, and even children know when (and when not!) to buy oysters
!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I learned about the Poisson d'Avril in my high school French class.
What are you two doing for Pâques? We're staying home and I'm cooking. (gee, what else is new?) :)

Joyeuse Pâques ! Hope the Bunny leaves you lots of yummy chocolate. And D too!