Friday 20 February 2009

Weed whacking..........


Ever since we saw the Hammeau for the first time I have been itching to get my hands on the land!!! Where will the potager go? ( I bought him in doors a book on growing ones own veg for Christmas - but I seem to be the one who will end up cultivating carrots!) where will I put the herb garden?

First things first though to clear the jungle! I have never seen so many brambles. It seems to be never ending! I went up there first day not armed with proper tools but found a rusty sythe and was determined to get clearing. My knuckles were swollen from whacking against the weeds but I uncovered a huge hydrangea bush to my husbands delight as he likes them. It is coming into bud so it will be fun to see what colour it may add to the surroundings.

My job will now be easier as my husband has bought me a petrol brush cutter to cut through those stubborn interloper plants. It has its' own harness as it is rather heavy however, I may have shoulders like Arnie soon.

Day 2 of clearing and did it with shears. Ouch ouch, I am suffering still. I have terrible scratches on my arms despite covering up. My hands are sore,neck and shoulders and back tender! I made fab progress though. Hubby said I was a weeding demon on a mission! I found some land that I did not know was there complete with chicken coop!!! We think we really ought to get some hens now, just three and are having fun thinking up names for them and finding out about breeds etc.

It was beautiful up there Sunday with the birds singing, the cows gently mooing and the sun twinkling on the river. Idyllic. I love it!

No comments: