Monday 9 March 2009

Lorient U Boat Stations





I took Papa to see the U Boat stations at Lorient ' Base de Sous Marines'.
He lived through the 2nd World War but never had reason to seen these buildings thankfully.

Whilst there we witnessed a team of men rebuilding a U Boat. Not sure why. There is one in dry dock and it really makes one think about those who were on board and the life and times of those years.

I met a sub mariner whilst I lived in Brazil. A very jolly fellow. I think indeed that those that had such a life would indeed have to maintain a sense of humour. A claustrophic existence.

I will stick with travel that takes me above or on the sea rather than under. I will be travelling on Friday with my father on a ferry to Guernsey. Hardly the height of luxury but I find it relaxing. I have been on a cruise ship but only one used for school trips many years ago. The SS Uganda that ended up being used in the Gulf War. Maybe one day I may go again on an up to date floating palace but in the mean time I salut those that are brave enough to be stuck leagues under the sea.

No comments: