Tuesday 3 March 2009

Papa and sis are here

I have been very excited as my father and sister arrived this weekend from my birth home of gorgeous Guernsey. The day they came was my Dads 85th Birthday. I cheated and bought him a brioche creamy raspberry creation and not much was left. He has a sweet tooth! I am so pleased he can now see where we are and where we will be living! However the weather did not hold in our favour the day they arrived and luckily the pansies I planted the previous day at the hamlet helped cheer up their first viewing of the place.

My father used to go to school in France at Fougeres. I am looking forward to showing him this area and drawing on his knowledge of what bird is singing and what plant is growing and where best to put the veggie plot. I wonder what he will make of the UBoat Station at Lorient? Perhaps will be a bit haunting. He was evacuated to the UK from Guernsey during the 2nd World War. Lots of stories to tell. He was based at an army camp with Hughie Green for those who remember who he was!

He loves nature and animals so my cats are getting more spoilt with love than usual. The Ginger one slept with him on his bed the first night. She deserted us!

I have had the extended pleasure of my sisters company. She was returning the next day on Aurigny Airlines ( or known locally as Joey ) a little 14 seater prop plane that serves inter island of the Baliwick but flyes Dinard to Guernsey. Long story but we saw it taking off without her on it. It left 20 mins early as sis was not at check in by about 2 mins delay so they let the plane go. Grrrrrrr. Anyway we spent Saturday night together. Lucky for me. Not ideal for her as she had places to be but c'est la vie though I still think that the plane should not have left 20 mins before schedule. Mind you that is what makes this successful and safe island airline service initmate and not like production line of travellers.
I am off back up to Dinard again today. This will be the third round trip in as many days to that area of France. I will be doing it again on Friday as am going back with Dad to 'Sarnia Cherie' Gem of the Sea as it is affectionately known. In the mean time I must work out a schedule for Papa and pray the weather picks up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fantastic! And an extra day with the sister is never a bad thing!!

Cheers,

*Heather*

Sandy said...

enjoy your time with your papa!