Saturday 24 January 2009

Auray


This is the pretty port of Auray on the south coast of Morbihan. www.auray-tourisme.com
In 1776 Benjamin Franklin landed here on his way to seek the help of Louis XVI in the American War of Independance. We walked its pretty streets and had a hot chocolate at a cafe under the heat of 4 outdoor burners keeping us warm. I just loved the fact that I could sit outside on a January day watching the people enjoying the Sunday sunshine whilst savouring some delicious handmade chocolates from a nearby store cashing in on the Sunday strollers. It must make a fortune with people like us being lured in by the temptations in the window and then thinking we only have a little in our pay by weight bag and when they weigh it it comes to 7 euros! My husband is a chocoholic so it would never be wasted or not appreciated. I said we should try and make them last all week, he said as I knew already that it would lucky if they lasted the afternoon. 9 p.m the last one was devoured!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the inaugural post, Michelle. You as well have incredible photographs, and are blessed to have such scenery and experiences right outside your door! If I spoke fluent French or even kept up with my broken German, I would move to France in a heartbeat. [Living in Brittany, are you forced to love oysters?]

All the best,

Heather

MichieMole said...

Not forced to eat oysters, don't like them but such a shame I don't. I am going to try them gratine! Scallops also as the fresh fish here is fabulous, well it looks it in the markets!