Tuesday 6 January 2009

Apres Noel.......


Well I am just about getting somewhere near normal. ( what is that I wonder??) I feel like I have been on another planet since about the 19th Dec. As I have already said, I fell foul to this horrid strain of flu that many have experienced and I still don’t feel 100 percent. My ears are blocked and I feel like I have been underwater and not quite surfaced!. The central region of France I read somewhere had the biggest concentration of sufferers of the grippe and Brittany was the next heavily affected. Christmas comes with so much expectation and the flu really did put a dampener on proceedings for many I know! The hubby previously had a cold and was getting better until here came back here.
We didn’t manage to wander around the pretty town of Vannes or lovely Lorient pre Christmas soaking up Christmas spirit and wandering how I would ever decorate my shop window with such flair if I had one, a shop that is, luckily I don't live in a place without windows! Nor did I partake much of the alcoholic type of spirit. I have noticed here that folks don’t seem to drink half as much as us Minevois residents, but then being surrounded by the vineyards and wine being a big part of life down there then 'tis not surprising.
I know I must embrace more of the northern region wines ( a lovely Bordeaux, I am informed Bordeaux wines are some of the most favoured of French wines still) to try and I will but I was in a local supermarket and stumbled across a lovely red from La Liviniere down south, a very well known village for its wines and surrounding areas too and took comfort in a glass or two of this lovely stuff. Domaine Prat d’Olivier 2005.
So, our Christmas was more subdued than planned though the one day I seemed to have taste buds thankfully was the 25th itself. Thank goodness as our dinner was just yummy. Tender turkey,sausages in bacon, brussel sproats, roast potatoes – my favourite, I could have a whole roast with just potatoes!, We ate rather a lot after a starter of smoked salmon and did not even attempt Christmas Pud, cake or mince pies. I have since made up for that. The Christmas cake was homemade by my friends mother and was one of the nicest I have ever tasted. ( apologies to my mother God rest her) Mind you my eyes were bigger than my belly ( anyone else know that expression?) and I overdid it with my cup of tea post Christmas!
Ah ah, as I type, the news is on and they are saying it is not too late to get a flu jab. I will get one. This is the 2nd festive season on the trot I have been ill and I always normally pride myself on not getting sick and let’s face it there are better things to do at Christmas than to be popping paracetamol and keeping the makers of tissues in business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes me drool. The photo is beautiful but what I most like in your blog are the brussel SPROATS! Sound wonderful.

Roast chicken