Monday 19 January 2009

Goats, chickens, sheep or none of these??


Having taken on what potentially will be a dream property, with it comes alot of land that needs attending. I cannot wait to to set up my potager for my home grown veg and a fresh herb garden. However some of the space is rather in need of constant maintenance. A small meadow at the top of the property and a field at the lower part. There has been much talk amongst friends as to the most cost effective and eco friendly way to maintain these areas. Goats, so cute, eat everything in sight and need to be tethered to avoid your hydrangeas, turnips and washing going awry. Sheep, more effective and less invasive on everyday life. Someone I know has a pet goat, follows him everywhere but creates havoc. He is just the right height to butt his horns on my shins too. I would love to try and make my own goats cheese but having experienced milking goats the reality may not live up the the charm of the idea of being as self sufficient as possible. Goats need milking each day and distracting whilst doing so.
We may foster some goats. There are a few ads sometimes for 3 mths fostering required if people go away or they have no grass or flowers left for these creatures to munch through!I love the idea of ‘ The Good Life’ like Richard Briers and Felicity Kendal in that fun sitcom but am not quite sure I am ready for that just yet. I will stick to my brush cutter to whack back the brambles, lower the grass levels for smooth space hopper races and then sit back and consider where the veg garden, heavenly herb patch and the possible goats and / or sheep may go.Chickens, well sensible to have lovely fresh eggs but again don’t like to think of them being penned but dont’ want the foxes to get them either and, how will the furbabes take to them. I am well informed by hardy poulet owners it is not necessary to have a cockerel either. Just as well I am not good in the mornings and the even though it is a wonderful sound, even if I trained the bird to bring me in a cuppa I don't know if I am ready for this kind of alarm call just yet!

No comments: